Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tesla's Top Hat

So here's a trifecta of strange travelling luck I've had:
- getting into Moscow around the time of the bushfires
- getting into Hungary a day after the industrial spill
- getting into Belgrade a day after riots against the police

News is following me around, or I guess more correctly, I'm following news around. Luckily everything seems to have quietened down in Belgrade now that I'm here, though that said I'm spending a large amount of my time here at my hostel anyway. After a few late nights in Budapest I've had a relapse of my cold (which I thought was getting better) so it's lots of rest for me to make sure I'm fit and well for Greece in a few days time!

Luckily it's been another good hostel here so it's good for hanging around. In Eastern Europe they love apartment hostels! The Serbians who run it are mega friendly. This morning I had sausage and cheese muffins for breakfast. As in, homecooked sausage and cheese muffins hot out of the tray. So good!
Tonight I'm catching the night train to Bulgaria. Funnily enough the last time I caught a night train I was also sick. Coincidence?

The rest of Budapest was really good fun. Another one of my favourites! Yoeri and I checked out the Soviet sculpture park, which was unexpectedly better than the Moscow sculpture park and then parted ways. I also ate wild boar! Or at least, something that was called "wild boar soup" on the menu which may or may not have contained actual boar.

On my last night there I went out for drinks with some fun characters from my hostel and we went to some arty Budapest bars which had themed rooms, for example one where you sat in bathtubs and one where furniture was stuck to the roof. Here two particularly cool things happened:
1) When I was saying goodbye to everyone and responded to the usual "add us on facebook!" with the usual "I don't have a facebook!" I was met with a round of applause!

2) Stu, a guy from Manchester with an awesome Manchester accent (eg. "Loondoon doongeoon") asked:
"What's that island you've got just off Perth, again? Craggy Island?"

Uploading is taking a while on the internet here, so Budapest pics will be coming later!

Aha! As I'm writing this the Serbian radio I'm listening to is playing the winning German song from the Eurovision. At last I'm really in Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment