Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ave Genghis Khan!

Not much net time! But I just wanted to let anyone who's reading this know that I'm alive and well and safe in Ulaanbaatar. Vodkatrain trip has been awesome so far, the China-Mongolia train trip was wicked. Mongolia may be the greatest country on the planet, though this is a big claim spurned from a few pints of Chinggis that I will evaluate better over the next few months. Hopefully will be able to post some photos and adventurous stories soon

Here is one story for Tom (meaning you Reynolds): in the middle of the night we crossed the border from China to Mongolia and, half-asleep, I realised that the weird noise I could hear was our train attendants booming "Poker Face" over the train speakers. Apparently, they really love it in China, I heard it several times. Now I can't get "p-p-p-poker face p-p-poker face" out of my head.

Sasha (if you read this): Vodkatrain friend from Ohio has now mentioned/sang Don't Stop Believin' at least once but usually twice every day since I messaged you, including one time when I heard it faintly, and then louder, from the next carriage on the train and discovered he was playing it over his laptop speakers. Crazy!

6 comments:

  1. PA PA PA POKERFACE MA MA POKERFACE

    i am so excited about reading this journal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a good time already! How was Beijing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caro:
    Hooray! I am excited too! (to be reading my own journal?)
    We also got Allejandro (spelling??) twice in a Mongolian roadtrip bus. It's possible the driver (who made the mix-tape) was actually Tom in disguise.

    Liam:
    Cheers, I am! Mongolia has been the best, it's wicked over here. China was good too, but very hot and smoggy. I only ended up getting a day there, pretty much spent it all in the Forbidden City though I did walk around Tiananmen Square too! Wanted to see Mao but the queue was too big - might have better luck with Lenin?

    Tom:
    Yessss, seriously that is the most played but all the music I am hearing across China/Mongolia seems to be stuff I've heard in your car!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi yes I read but I can't leave comments at work! So anyway, hello Moriartyinadifferentland :)

    I know how this story ends, it ends with you inviting my new best friend to Buss. This year we have to pick a best friend from your travels to bring along (instead of celeb best friend)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sasha!

    An excellent plan (Ohio is actually a lot like Damien, if Damien was American and had a big beard, so I could imagine him fitting well on Buss). I'll probably be able to put up photos before really recounting the people, so maybe you can just gamble on appearances? Mystery friend!

    ReplyDelete