Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Denmarkation

Today I succesfully made it to Copenhagen! The city looks great but unfortunately: pouring with rain.

My hostel is in an awesome boho neighbourhood (just off the city centre but within walking distance) with a lot of good kebab and Indian restaurants, so in a clear patch I went on a kebab hunt. Feeling enthusiastic about the clear patch I decided to turn this into a walk around the local surrounds. Bravery? Insanity? As soon as I was a reasonable distance from my hostel it started bucketing down again and I got soaked.
Am now back at my hostel in trackpants, drinking hot chocolate (powdered hot chocolate in a styrofoam cup with whipped cream from the fridge). Best 12 kroners I've ever spent!

Used the time to upload the rest of my Russia photos: here

Tomorrow I'm determined to see a whole heap of the city, rain or no! Also, will buy an umbrella.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you survived Russia Charlie.

    Copenhagen, yes...the Little Mermaid. I can only remember two things about this famous landmark; one, it was a mermaid and two, it was very little.

    Uncle Scot

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much are Kroners worth? Sounds pretty comfy in any case =P how long are you spending in Copenhagen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Uncle Scot! Good to hear from you!

    I've so far discovered a third thing about the Little Mermaid - it's a hologram! Turns out they've shipped her off to the world expo in Shanghai and in its place is a big TV screen with a live video feed to everyone walking past the exhibit at the expo. Luckily I knew this before walking over there, but I saw some very disappointed tourists turning up at the bay!
    (I really liked the park nearby though, with the star-shaped moat and the old fort inside)

    To Liam: It was about 5.2 kroners to 1 Aus dollar last I checked, so a 12 kroner instant hot chocolate is about $2.50 or a bit under. Well worth it! In general though, the high cost of Scandinavian living burns a bit. So pricey, but such a nice place! Ah, the Scandianavian dilemma!
    All up I'm staying 4 nights in Copenhagen - leaving on Friday - but next I'm going to two more towns in Denmark, Odense and Aarhus, before heading over to Germany next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charlie, don't forget - its Oodensa (oo as in foot)- you will astound the locals with your pronunciation ...Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers for the tip, Dad! I don't know if I've managed to astound any locals so far, but it came very much in handy when listening out for my stop on the train!

    ReplyDelete