Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Concluding my Viking saga

Another art I forgot about: the art of climbing a bunk bed whilst holding a hot cup of tea. I've become well pro at this!

Things that are pretty awesome: inadvertently arriving in a town during their city's festival week! I've come to Århus during Århusfestuge, which apparently literally translates to "Århus party week", and there are live acts (the main stage is right around the corner from my hostel), carnival rides and street vendors all over town. Once the Rolling Stones even played this festival. Too cool!
Making a good impression on me, I think Århus might even be my favourite of the Denmark cities I've visited!

This morning I've got a train to catch; heading to Hamburg!

All my Denmark photos are now up: here

Denmark Mascot

5 comments:

  1. Stumbing into a town during its Party week is too cool to be coincidence, I suspect it's a skill you've been cultivating without telling anyone. What's the story with the legoman? I can vaguely see DK 2010 engraved on its tile I think?

    How are you finding staying in hostels? any amusing stories from them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Moriarty,

    Your blog is great! Very entertaining...
    Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself and having such awesome adventures!

    See you in a few months.
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liam:
    If I had a superpower, the ability to spontaneously stumble into parties and festivals would be a pretty great one!
    Good spotting on the Lego guy - it's my Denmark souvenir, which I bought in the Lego shop in Aarhus from a blind-boxed minifig packet (I figured whichever one I got would be my Denmark mascot). I carved DK 2010 into the base to remind myself it is my official Denmark ninja!
    (strangely enough though, I found the Lego shop here in Hamburg and it's even bigger than the one I found in Denmark. Almost tempted to buy a second minifig but I think that would defeat the purpose!)
    The hostels I've been staying in have been really good so far. Good common rooms, and I've been chatting to quite a few fellow travellers. No real crazy stories as of yet, though I've now had two Japanese guys in different hostels have alarms/phones go off in the middle of the night which have woken up everyone except themselves. Those are some mighty sleeping powers!

    Gab:
    Hello! Good to hear from you! I hope you're having awesome times home in Perth, as well. Are you coming to Southbound?
    Either way, catch you soon (a relative soon)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO NOT FEED THE OBWOB

    Obviously not a seal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom: I'm now in Hamburg and being a big-time port town there is tons of fishy imagery all around the place. It's making me miss Ob Wob.

    PS. I also got your twitter comment, enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete