Monday, November 22, 2010

Ça Plane Pour Moi

Last night I drank kvas and had borscht and pelmeni for dinner. Hey, I'm back in Russia! Or rather, I found a Russian restaurant down the street from our Paris hostel and convinced Jenny we should go. Sour cream and dill, it's been three months and I've missed you!

Mighty welcome feast

We had a grand time in Strasbourg and Anne and Jonathan were awesome hosts. We got two days of being shown around wacky Strasbourg with tour guide Anne, and then one day left to our own devices whereupon we decided to go CRAZY and go back to Germany. We went to Triberg in the black forest, saw a waterfall, ate black forest cake which I didn't think I'd like but which was really, really good and then suddenly found ourselves back in France again. Bam! Goodbye Germany, for the 3rd time.

Strasbourg was indeed a wacky town. Each of the tram stops had its own music, one of which I swear was one of the sound effects from Mass Effect. There was also a giant statue of a giraffe in a suit, a whole square full of army tanks and a park with monkeys in it. It's madness! But good madness. We tried traditional Alsatian flams, from "Flams", and Anne also introduced us to the best kind of cheese. All up, a good time!

My Strasbourg photos are all up: here

We're now in Paris for a week, during which time we plan on doing heaps of stuff! This is the first city I can say I've properly returned to. At the same time it's familiar, but not like I remember it, except for some parts which are exactly the same. A strange feeling!

So far we've heard "La Vie En Rose" twice in the one day that we've been here. I plan on keeping count! However, I'm worried that if I hear "Non Je Ne Regrette Rien" I'm going to suddenly wake up on an aeroplane heading to Beijing and realise all of my Europe trip so far has been just a dream....


Hey, I'm on TV!

4 comments:

  1. moriarty i know i should be commenting about your travels but i am just so excited for when you get back! and BUSS!!!

    i have been reading and enjoying thoroughly though so never fear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'd be excited too but unfortunately I've decided I'll be too tired after my trip to come on Buss.

    JUST KIDDING, I am mega-amped! I hope you've been spreading the word about the "Buss Masked Ball", I am determined to make this dream become a reality!

    Party soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy heck just came on to basically post the same thing as caro! TWINS OF DESTINY.

    anyway, so: BUSS! BUSS! BUSS! BUSS! BUSS!
    (also: buss wedding!)

    also, i've been enjoyin yr internet presence, keep it up. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAGDA! I am enjoying your internet presence too, by which I mean I got your comments on my photos today and they were very entertaining. And also, to repeat myself, mega-amped for Buss around the corner!

    Also, you have no idea how nuts Jenny and I have been going for our latest incarnation of a classic: "would you still be my travelling companion?" We can literally play it for hours and hours.

    ReplyDelete