Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Celtic Soul Brothers

One more Stonehenge photo for the road

I've made it! I'm here in London, the last stop on my trip before heading home and I'm very excited about one more week of adventuring before returning to eat a lot of barbecues, drink Good Stella and enjoy Christmas and Buss festivities.

Our time in Cornwall was great: we ended up making it to Falmouth (where we based ourselves at an inn that did insanely strong ginger beer), Tintagel, Penzance and St Ive's and whilst I didn't see any actual pirates or mermaids I did succeed in eating some good pasties.

On our first night in Cornwall we were, we're pretty sure, kicked out of a pub! We got completely lost trying to find the inn we were staying at so we had to stop the car and ask at another pub. Despite being completely friendly, receiving apparently friendly directions in return to "the other pub" (it was just around the corner!) and promising to return for a pint for their help, a woman got up from the bar and walked with us to the door, closing it behind us and muttering to us "don't bother coming back." What?!

Having a car to drive around was excellent and many cheers to Jenny who was our designated driver (as I am considered too young and reckless, ie. being younger my insurance would have costed more). We listened to a lot of radio but it was never as good as the Irish radio! Considering how much incredibly good British music there is I don't know why we had to repeatedly hear Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" and Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair".

My favourite car moment was when, in a sudden change of programming, the radio started playing "Killing In The Name Of" bringing back so many memories of how much we ROCKED OUT to it in the Dublin pub crawl, and as we rocked out to it one more time Stonehenge came looming up before us. I said, "hey there's Stonehenge!" Jenny said, "where?!" Me, "right there!" This went on for quite a bit, and it's funny because Stonehenge was right in front of us, looking particularly prominent. This could be one which loses something in the telling!

Cornwall poll: Which of these seagull public safety warnings from St Ives is best? Also, why would a town issue at least 3 differently-worded seagull warnings?

Seagulls of St Ives: Warning 1

Seagulls of St Ives: Warning 3

Seagulls of St Ives: Warning 2


More photos from Cornwall and our whirlwind stopover in Oxford are now up: here!

Far out, I'm excited about seeing London. All I've seen so far is a bit of the area around my hostel in the dark but it turns out I'm staying in a very cool part of town - on Queen's Gate, the same block as the Albert Hall! I've got 6 days to fit in all I want to see and I'm determined to see a lot. London! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment