Sunday, December 19, 2010

In Regent Street and Leicester Square

Here are three stories from my first full day in London:

1) Jenny and I were walking through St James's Park when we saw a squirrel and got really excited. Then we saw a whole heap more squirrels - the park was full of them! We saw one right by the path and were surprised at how close it was and as we scrambled for cameras for Exciting Squirrel Photos, it made a dash straight at Jenny and tried to climb her leg. Did it mistake Jenny for a tree or do the St James squirrels just have no fear? Squirrel madness!

2) We headed to Buckingham Palace which was surprisingly crowded. Aha! It turned out we'd arrived there for the changing of the guard. At least, after the event, I'm pretty sure that was what was going on but whilst we were there it felt like there must be some kind of extra special event on considering the amount of people. I guess it's just a popular occasion! We saw the big brass band of guards in bearskins parading around and some riflemen walked past us. Eventually the brass band marched into the central courtyard where they set up music stands and looked like they were ready to start their Main Fanfaring event.
The band started playing and we were sure we recognised the tune. It took us a minute, but then we realised they were playing.... Don't Stop Believing?!
This then turned into "Any Way You Want It"
We went to Buckingham Palace and the guards played a JOURNEY MEDLEY.

This now ties as one of my favourite things that's happened over the course of my whole trip.

3) Later that day I went to buy a DVD, which happened to be rated UK-15. I took it up to the counter and I was asked, "can I have some ID for that?"

To reiterate: over the course of a day I saw royal guards play a Journey medley and was mistaken for being ten years younger than I actually am.

London is crazy!
London is also the greatest. I've also been to see the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, Abbey Road, 221B Baker St and plenty of other good things.

I've been to Forbidden Planet and went a bit crazy for Avengers merch:

Avengers madness!


Not pictured is my Avengers soundtrack album which I bought on a CD-buying spree at HMV. Presents for yourself - a good expense?
I also bought myself a copy of Peter Rabbit at the British museum. Peter Rabbit in hieroglyphs! It is the greatest.

Today for lunch I had a venison, wild boar, red wine and apricot baguette, washed down with mulled wine from a Christmas market and then a slice of banoffee pie. Living the good life on my remaining pounds!

Today was also Jenny's last day and we celebrated with a final pub dinner before parting ways. Two more days for me before I (hopefully!) head home.

And now for some very concerning news: (here)

Here's hoping the airports have opened up again by Tuesday. Please, please let me get home for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment