Thursday, December 9, 2010

The ice age is coming

Over the past few days I've had a really unfortunate run of bad luck!
Within the space of a day I managed to lose a pair of thermal long johns (accidentally (?) taken from our hostel's 'drying room'), my GERMAN HAT (foolishly left on a train - but I'm still chasing up lost and found in case of a miraculous recovery) and a postcard I was about to send home. Also, one of our trains was cancelled meaning we almost didn't make it to Stratford-upon-Avon in time for our theatre booking for that night. Yikes! Too much in too short a space of time!

Luckily we did end up making it in time for our show and it was worth it in every way. We went to see Matilda, A Musical by the Royal Shakespeare Company. A musical version of Matilda, with music by Tim Minchin, performed by the RSC felt like something that could go very wrong very easily. Instead, it was awesome! The songs were good, the casting was good, it was a genuinely great time. Trunchbull was the best. I want to see it again!


For our crazy one-night stop in Stratford-upon-Avon (where, because of our late trains, we didn't get to see much more than a few Elizabethan houses, a pub and a play) we had to stay in a B&B. This was pricey but as it turns out, great! The B&B owner, Diana, was the friendliest lady ever and cooked us a seriously awesome full English breakfast. The whole house was decked out in Christmas decorations and we stayed up watching QI and Big Bang Theory on our free TV. Now I feel appropriately refreshed from my spate of bad English luck and I am excited about England again!

Before this we spent a few nights in the Lake District, which was very snowy but very cool. Whilst there I seemed to offend a lot of wildlife. We came across a robin whilst walking in the snow who seemed mega friendly and didn't mind at all when we poked our cameras in his face. Turned out he must have just been sizing us up as opponents because as soon as the cameras were away he tried to swoop me.
Later, we walked past a field of sheep who I tried to communicate with, with a friendly "mmeeeeehhhh". After my third attempt at the perfect sheep noise I finally got a response.... and then another.... and then another.... Suddenly all the sheep were mmeeehhhing at each other, one at a time, and each sheep that made the noise looked directly at me with what appeared to be a very menacing gaze. It was spooky and we made speedy tracks away from the field!
It's very hard to tell how much of this apparent wildlife spookiness is actually just a side-effect of me reading my first Stephen King novel, which I picked up from a hostel book exchange and which may have put me more on edge than I realised!

I haven't got my photos up yet but trust me, they are full of snow! Now we're in Cardiff where right now, somewhere in the not-too-distant neighbourhood, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan are filming Doctor Who. Am I excited about this? Yes, my friends. Yes I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment