Saturday, December 11, 2010

I am the Blaidd Drwg

Today almost all my Wales dreams came true:

Heated tents for cool people


We found where they were filming Doctor Who!
It seemed like they were on their lunch break so we didn't actually see any actors, but there was definitely some interesting business going on in Neath Abbey! We didn't linger around (we actually felt a bit snoopy being there), so all we saw were some tents, serious looking security guards and a cool abbey, but strangely they did let us just wander around the site and through their stuff. Actors or no, it was mega-exciting. When I see this episode, it's going to be the best!
Just to make it even cooler, word on the internet is that the episodes that they're filming at the moment are written by Matthew Graham. Best ever!

Cardiff was an amazing place where I drank brains, didn't get rained on and where there was something eerily familiar (from Who) around every corner.
My favourite was the National Museum, which we didn't plan to go to but were lured in by the draw of a free museum and were surprised with both animatronic wooley mammoths and much Who-familiarity!

Hey, I know that museum!

Musée d'Orsay by mistake!


We also went to see the Doctor Who exhibition, where they house lots of the old monsters, costumes and props. IT WAS BRILLIANT.

Dalek, or 80s rock legend


My pictures of the Lake District and Cardiff, including many of the Doctor Who exhibition are all up: here!

It's been pretty sad leaving Who-country where our hostel was particularly great and did the best breakfast I've had yet. However, today we picked up a hire car and headed on a big road trip down to Cornwall, where I intend to find a mermaid, thwart a smuggling ring and eat lots of pasties. And keep fondly remembering that time when I walked through the Doctor Who set.

4 comments:

  1. The Doctor Who Christmas Special 2010 should be out around the time you get back...which is now very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great news indeed, on both counts! Looking forward to a very imminent catch-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moriarty! Tonight I had dinner with my friend Monica and her husband Laurent, who is Franco-Spanish and lived in Perth for a year. Small world!

    Wales sounds like a blast. My sister (a big Dr. Who fan--I'm Avengers-only) is really jealous of your museum visit.

    Learn some Cornish while you're in Cornwall!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language

    cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small indeed! Only yesterday I started chatting to a museum guide in Cornwall, who it turned out used to live in Perth and lectured a couple of times at my university. Perth definitely seems to get around more than I would have expected!

    I did indeed manage to learn one word of Cornish whilst there! I learnt that "tre" means town or farm, which I looked up after I realised how many 'tre-' towns there were on our map. It seems like a very cool language, and we heard on the radio that it's just been classified as threatened, with only 300 fluent Cornish speakers left. I'd gladly learn more, particularly if it improves my piratey accent. Also a big fan of the Cornish flag!

    ReplyDelete