Saturday, September 25, 2010

All aboard.... the night train!

Chalet and painted backdrop of a mountain


Here are some stories about culinary greatness:

The other night I became a master of the supermarket cooking art when I made vegemite, gruyere and fried egg toasted sandwiches, served with salad with a white balsamic vinegar and maple syrup dressing (being the two ingredients I found in the “free food” box).
My kitchen madness is also my kitchen genius.
Turns out vegemite and gruyere is really good, and why don't I eat maple syrup on salad all the time?

I also drank something called “Jungle” containing “Yumberry & Granatapfel”. Whilst I'm sure these are just Swiss/German names for normal fruits, they sound like something somebody has completely made up, from the Wonka fruit family.

My decision to make these sandwiches came after hiking around the Bernese Alps all day, where I went on a quest for the Alpenvogelpark but no matter how much I walked never seemed to actually get there. Until I did and I saw some cool owls. The walk was good, just very tiring, and I didn't end up getting to Zurich til 7pm where I crashed until my body said “give me vegemite and fried eggs stat!”

After that I spent a day walking around Zurich and then the next day walking around Vaduz in Liechtenstein, after which I caught a night train to Ljubljana where I realised that I was incapable of doing any more walking for the time being and forced myself to spend a whole day at my hostel. I only left once to get groceries for another supermarket cook-up. Today my plan is to finally see some Slovenia but joke's on me: it's raining! I'm going to have to find some way to see as many interesting things in Ljubljana as possible without getting stranded too far from my hostel.

In the meantime I uploaded a somewhat ridiculous amount of Switzerland photos which can be found: here!

4 comments:

  1. You can be an honourary Canadian with all of that maple syrup!

    The Piz Gloria pics are amazing and I'm trying to withstand my jealousy. One day! When I saw them all I wanted to do was slide on my stomach away from the helicopter pad, towards the buildings, whilst firing a machine gun and with some John Barry score blaring in my ears... Was Joanna Lumley hanging out there doing some knitting, by chance?

    Enjoy Slovenia.

    - Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good, I would be very happy to do a maple syrup tour of Canada. Do they ever put it on salads over there? Another one which I invented is 'Canadian coffee', basically, coffee with maple syrup in it. Is this a real thing too?

    Re: Joanna Lumley. She was! She was in a corner just out of shot in my photos. It's also a real shame, just after my camera died all these girls came and joined me at my table for breakfast. It was strange, though - each of them only ate plates of one item from the buffet....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ancient wisewoman who knew you in Galifray is following your travels with great interest. Recalls first Tardis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again, Gallifreyan wise woman! Would that be my first Tardis that kept bumping into the back of your chair when I tried to take off, or am I completely on the wrong track with your identity here?

    ReplyDelete