Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Beast Without

So it turns out everything Gabriel Knight told me is true:





Same goes for Neuschwanstein except I couldn't take photos in there. There even was a cave with a hidden door! Whilst there wasn't a wolf mural, I'm still pretty solidly convinced that King Ludwig II was a werewolf. I wanted to separate myself from the group to look for hidden scrolls but I forgot to bring along my live dove to distract the guide.

My other Gabriel Knight-related pilgrimage around Munich was to King Ludwig's cross on Lake Starnberg, which I decided to rent a bike for. Best decision ever! Cycling around the lake was brilliant though I am paying the price for it today. After succesfully negating both my walking and my cycling muscles, I ended up taking it easy on my last day in Munich today and drank Hofbrau in the beer garden in the English garden in the sun. It was good!

Other non-GK-related times in Munich included going to the Deutsches Museum, possibly the most impressive museum I've been to so far (a claim I feel like I'm making for each new impressive museum I go to). This place was 8 floors of exhibits on every imaginable field of science or type of technology. There were interactive exhibits for almost every class experiment I've ever had to do in Physics, a massive boat room, a massive aeroplane room, robots, an office desk, three floors just on Astronomy, paper napkins, everything!
They don't want you putting photos from the museum online so to not tempt any museum wrath I haven't uploaded them, except for one thing which I wanted to show my brothers. Guys, check this out!

My Germany photos are now complete with Munich photos: from here!

Tomorrow I'm off on a long train ride. My original plan was to head from Munich to Amsterdam but I found myself with two extra nights which I'm using to stop over in some countries I didn't think I'd get to. First stop: Luxembourg!
I'm getting out of Munich just in time; today the tents started going up and the crowds started coming in. Whilst it'd be well cool to come back for Oktoberfest some day, turns out the week before is actually pretty wicked! It wasn't too busy but lots of places were already all decked out in preparation. And you actually see people wearing Lederhosen about the place!
Munich: brilliant.

Finally, ridiculous things I bought in Germany, or, awesome things I bought in Germany:



He bought his hat in Bavaria! Yes, in Bavaria, where the trees are made of wood!

(I'm going to be unstoppable in the next game of Diplomacy with this hat. Can we play on bus?)

Essential Munich viewing:

4 comments:

  1. Hi Moriarty!

    I am so happy for you because you just seem to be having the best time everywhere. I read your blog all the time (but I'm usually at work where I can't leave comments) and it makes me so jealous.

    So to make up here's a mega comment.

    We had smackdown today, but it was just me, Caro, Colin and Luke. We played bball on one of the back bitumen courts, and Caro grazed her knee when she fell over. It was like the olden days, when kids used to play on bitumen, and got scars all the time.

    The other day I saw an ad for a wii remote that is shaped like Dr Who's screwdriver, and I thought was something you would enjoy. You have probably already heard of it, but anyway.

    I've been buying so many t shirts on line. I am currently waiting for three packages! I hope you enjoy this story because you also like t shirts and packages. There was also this amazing time when I wanted this $50 shirt, but I didn't know the size, so I bought two $10 mystery shirts in different sizes to measure, and ended up getting the one I wanted for $10. This happened a few weeks ago but I still can't get over how good it was!

    At Friday beers we only have one beer now. It is sad. I can't wait for you to get back so we can have two beers again.

    That's probably it for now. My mum has been looking at your photos. She says hi too (I don't think she knows about the blog).

    Bye
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey charlie, big hello from all here in Albany, WA! haha good old krage the bellbot! 'im a lamp im a lamp, course i look like a lamp, lamps are cool!'. i've made sure that i've shown everyone who all agree - definitely him!

    ahhh awesome hat as well! i want one. haha nice that it can remind you of the monty python sketch. funny stuff.

    talk soon,

    T.M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sasha!

    It was very exciting getting your mega-comment - I'm enjoying my adventures for sure, but I've also run into a bit of a patch of homesickness so good to hear your stories about things I am interested in!

    That's too cool about the wii remote! I'll have to investigate further, this could mean that my wii will get much more playtime when I return.
    Also very cool about the mystery shirt! I've always been too nervous to go for them when there's a shirt up I've wanted, but your story gives me hope! Is that 5 t-shirts all up? That's t-shirt madness! (a good thing)

    I really miss Friday beers, particularly on Fridays, and have been trying to live vicariously (is that the right word?) by always having a beer then anyway. But it's not the same! When I return there will definitely be two beers!

    Here are two internet stories I had for you: One is that I saw that the guy from the Big Bang Theory won an Emmy. This is something I'm sure I would have remarked on back in Perth, so I'm remarking here instead!

    The other is that I read about an upcoming Glee theme-episode which I'm now pretty excited about. I won't spoil it in case you haven't heard, but maybe you'll know when you watch it. When I get back I'm going to have an epic Glee catch-up, should be good!

    Say hi to your Mum for me in return, and have a Friday beer for me (a good excuse to have two)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Tom:

    Hey! Cool to hear you all agree about the robot looking like Krage - I thought that was pretty funny! I reckon whoever designed it must have played Starship Titanic at some point....

    Everywhere you go in Munich they like to advertise things as being "typically Bavarian", so it turns out that sketch is pretty true! I didn't go to any restaurants that were that intense, but I did go to the one where the woman who ran it kept frowning at me for being a tourist. Every time I think about "soup a la clown" it cracks me up.

    Hope you're well, and say hello to everyone back in Albany from me!

    ReplyDelete