Thursday, September 30, 2010

I'm the one they frame

Hostel living room

This afternoon I left Salzburg and got into Vienna. The place I'm staying at is completely, undoubtedly, the best hostel ever and I've only been here a few hours! All the reviews for it online practically unanimously said "best hostel ever" and I figured I had to check this out for myself!
I'm staying in a converted apartment, only 2 dorm rooms and then a shared living room, kitchen and bathroom. I imagined that "converted apartment" would mean "pretty standard place with some Ikea bunk beds", but in actual fact it is a mega-nice apartment. The beds are built into alcoves in the wall and in my room some of the beds are raised with a mini-wooden spiral staircase leading up to them. On top of all of this, the place is filled with free stuff! Laundry is free, everything in the kitchen is free (tea, coffee, pasta, milk, cordial, wine!), there's free stuff all through the bathrooms, free towels. There are no words for how great this place is after staying in all-up pretty similar hostels for the past 2 months. Plus, I'm living in an apartment in Vienna!
Sadly this place was booked out for my third night in the city, but I at least get two nights here living the good life.

I went for a walk around the neighbourhood after getting here and discovered I'm in a part of town that's completely filled with trendy t-shirt shops. I found one place that pretty much just re-sells shirts from the internet, all from sites I go to, with an emphasis on Star Wars shirts?! They even had the shirt I ordered that got destroyed in the mail and which I couldn't get again! Going to investigate this place further later on, so that I don't straight away blow all my money on t-shirts.

After this I went to an Indian restaurant and ate a conspicously huge amount of Indian, which I'd been hanging out for. When I got the bill they gave me some kind of complimentary, delicious schnapps. Vienna is the greatest!


Salzburg, Hohensalzburg and a mountain


In Salzburg I did indeed watch Sound of Music as mentioned and then went out and saw some sights. It had been ages since I last saw it, but you know what is my current vote on the best scene in the movie? It's only lasts for about a second, but it's when Captain Von Trapp is about to step in and dance with Maria at his ball, and he pulls the biggest pimping face whilst adjusting his gloves (this is the best description of it that I can think of). Check it out. It's great stuff!

I've uploaded my Salzburg photos and you can check them out: here!

In other news I've now finished all the books I brought with me. I enjoyed Great Expectations but it seemed more like "Great Coincidences", right? I also read Robinson Crusoe which I thought was pretty awesomely readable for something written in 1719 and surprisingly relatable, up to that bit where he has to fight off 300 wolves.
I'm now starting to make the most of hostel book exchanges and have already fortuitously stumbled across Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Graveyard Book, both of which I consider to be pretty great scores!

I have a few missions for Vienna. One is to go and watch The Third Man at the movies on Friday and the other is to go on the ferris wheel and possibly before that, to find a classically trained cellist to go on the ferris wheel with. I also intend to listen to plenty of "Where Has Everybody Gone" on my iPod, but I don't plan on strangling anyone with my headphones.

Surprise! I'm doing the Bond references tour of Europe.

3 comments:

  1. If you go to the symphony and see Kara Milovy play I will be jealous!

    Watch out for balloons with Russian messages written in magic marker, too...

    The hostel looks great. Never been to Austria so keep us posted on whether or not it's a definite, must-see stop!

    cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I forgot about the balloons! In fact, someone did try and give me a balloon yesterday but luckily I turned them away!

    So far my impression is that Vienna, at least, is a definite must-see! This city is great, one of my favourites on my trip so far. There's tons of massive stately buildings around the place, sometimes weirdly crowded together and sometimes in massive, Russia-size squares. Plus, it's got a good spy history. I'd say worth a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does a t-shirt get destroyed in the mail?

    H. Zan

    ReplyDelete