Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Far up! Far out! Far more!

Today I got up at 5:30, caught 2 trains, a bus and four cable cars spending about $100 on transport and it was completely worth it:

Piz Gloria from the cable car

(this picture isn't doing it justice but it's the only angle I could get from the cable car)

I was under this impression that Piz Gloria would look just as it does in the movie on the outside but that inside they would have completely revamped it after the movie, or possibly some scenes were filmed on sets rather than in the complex itself. I was wrong!

Piz Gloria 60s walls

They've changed a few things but have kept a whole stack of the original furnishings. There were even some Christmas decorations up! Also the layout of the building is practically the same, with the lifts and the stairs. There were heaps of doors marked "privat". This must be where all the bedrooms with cone fireplaces are.

Comte de Bleuville coat of arms

Comte de Bleuville coat of arms

Helicopter pad (through the window)

Helicopter pad
(through the window: not a great photo but you get the idea!)

I am in Piz Gloria?!

I am excited to be here!

I was pretty enthusiastic about paying extra to eat "Diana Rigg icecream" before my James Bond breakfast buffet (with champagne!) but several courses later, which included such classic breakfast fare as 'cheese platter', realised this was no longer going to happen. Still amped that they had it though!

Bond breakfast!

I got a few pictures of the view but this was about all I managed before my camera battery died. I'd been so focussed on getting all my stuff ready for my 5:30 start I'd completely forgotten to charge it.
I think this occasion calls for an uncharacteristic display of emoticon: :( :( :(

As a result, I've just had to try and commit as much of my day to memory as I can. Somehow I ended up spending 3 and a half hours at Piz Gloria, with non-breakfast activities also including going to a theatre room and watching movie clips, and climbing down onto mountain just below the complex where there was a patch of snow I could play with and wrote my name in (with my boot).

I considered climbing down the cable ropes by hand to save on the cable car fare but decided against it because I need pockets in my pants to keep stuff in. But I scoped out the place and climbing out onto the cable car roof would have been completely possible. Getting away with it, maybe not so.

On my way back down I got off at some of the stops and found the Alps to be pretty much real-life stereotypical Switzerland but in the best kind of way: green mountains with snowy peaks in the background, chalets, goats with big bells on, cheese shops everywhere. In Lauterbrunnen I also found the place where Bond jumped out of Tracey's car to use a phone booth during the Piz Gloria escape. You'll just have to take my word for all of these things because I couldn't take photos, or maybe not (except for the last one), because I'm now planning on going back to the Alps tomorrow because I thought the Bernese Oberland was so great! This time I'm going to Grindelwald where I intend to find an ice rink, or at least, a place that would be an ice rink if it was colder.

New life plan:
1) get rich
2) learn how to ski
3) get really good at skiing
4) go back to Piz Gloria in winter
5) ski down the slope

I've only put up a few of my photos because I still need to sort through or clean up the rest of them. You might have noticed I've taken a fair few photos of fountains. Turns out Bern is pretty much the city of fountains (and bears) and there are fountains all over the city. Once I realised this, I went on a quest to find as many of them as possible. Be prepared for even more photos of MANY FOUNTAINS.

Morning at Piz Gloria

2 comments:

  1. the below has nothing at all to do with this post but i just remembered it and i thought you should take it with you on your travels

    ---

    R.D.J
    by Moriarty Downey Jr and C.J. Lion

    When you're feeling sad and frowney
    Watch a film by Robert Downey

    Sometimes white and sometimes browney;
    Versatile is Robert Downey

    Whether slacks or evening gowney
    Accessorise with Robert Downey

    Who's that talking fast and clowney?
    It's that actor, Robert Downey

    He rose from rags to royal crowney
    Prince from pauper, Robert Downey

    In high demand in Tinseltowney
    A reformed man is Robert Downey

    A thespian of great renowney
    Malkovich? No, Robert Downey

    Junior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are two things that I'd forgotten about:

    1) this poem

    2) how astoundingly great it is in every way

    I read this in my hostel's common room and was laughing aloud at every line, not caring who heard me! I might need to make some print-outs to hand out to people when I want to make friends*.
    *actually, this is a ridiculous idea.
    If only there was some way we could send it to Mr D.J. himself**!
    **this might be too.

    Hahaha, renowney!

    ReplyDelete