Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Life I Live

Hello from Switzerland! I've just arrived in Bern after an 8-hour train trip, a few good days in Amsterdam and a few tiring days in Luxembourg and Bruges.

Here are my stories about the above!

As mentioned, before heading to Amsterdam I got two unexpected stops - one night in Luxembourg, one night in Bruges! These passed very similarly: trains in the morning/afternoon, dinner and some internet, sleeping, walking around town, leaving for the next place. I also got to talk about Slovakian politics with a cool guy I met in Luxembourg, and went out for beers in Bruges with some Australians.

Luxembourg was pretty impressive to look at though not so cool to navigate with my backpack (the train station was high up and my hostel was low down). But it was good to return to a French-speaking land and drink some Orangina!
Bruges was also cool, I enjoyed how on my city walk I went from mostly-empty streets to dense tourist-town as I walked further towards the city centre. Nice houses but bad Stella! Give me BBC any day (though my cumulative time in the BBC is probably longer than the amount of time I spent in real Belgium, possibly making me a biased judge).

Conclusion: 1 day is plenty of time to see a small town, but isn't really a great amount of time to spend in a place. Lots of train travel in 3 days = very tiring!

My Luxembourg pictures all look quite similar


Luxembourg and Bruges photos: here!

After my quiet first night in Amsterdam I was ready to see some of the town! I went on a free walking tour on my first day which was really good, our guide was real energetic and took us all for lunch afterwards. I found a fellow Australian on the tour (we had the same backpack), Nick from Brisbane, and we went out for beers later that night along with two Ukrainian guys he'd met at his hostel.
The Ukrainian guys I am now calling Han Solo and Chewbacca. Han Solo could speak some English, and would make a comment every now and then - but Chewbacca couldn't speak much English at all, so instead talked constantly in Ukrainian with Han Solo occasionally translating. Much like with Chewbacca, he was always part of the conversation and often interjecting emphatically, but you know you have no hope of ever really understanding. This illusion wasn't helped by the fact that I swear I heard Han Solo call him "Chewie" several times, though I probably just misheard a Ukrainian word.

The next day I saw the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum and that night set off to do something I hadn't done in almost 2 months: go to the movies. Far out, I had no idea how much I missed movie cinemas until I was sitting in one! I went to see The American, which was a bit of a mixed bag but was definitely the kind of movie I felt like sitting down and watching (lots of running around Europe).

On my last day I had a most excellent Dutch day! I rented a bike to do some cycling around the countryside and when it turned out the bike hire place had run out of maps the girl suggested a route to me, wrote some place names down on a post-it and said to just follow the signs! Turned out the first place I was headed to wasn't signposted until after heading to another place first, something I found out after an awesomely helpful local gave me directions. But after that it turned out the girl's suggestions were great, I saw a lot of black and white cows, green fields and, succesfully, one windmill. It rained once for about 15 minutes but after that the skies were pretty much blue!

Netherlands


After I'd ridden around for most of the afternoon, and was completely beat after riding against the wind for a while, I headed to my last stop in desperate need of some food but with no sign of a cafe/restaurant anywhere. I asked another helpful local and was directed to a Pancake House, where I bumped into some fellow cyclists who I'd seen on the track - a family from South Africa and their Dutch friend Famke (!!), who invited me to join them for lunch! In the cafe I had tea with rum, greatest post-cycling drink ever, and a massive Dutch pancake with bacon, apples and sugar-syrup. So good! (Lola, I think you would like Dutch pancakes)

With the combination of cycling, windmill, traditional Dutch farmer pancake (which apparently my bacon-apple choice was) and meeting someone called Famke, I feel like I've appropriately lived the Netherlands dream.

Netherlands photos: here!

Frustratingly, some dust has gotten into my camera and has been showing up every now and then as dark blurs on my photos, particularly when I zoom in on things. Not cool! The only way I can think of getting rid of it is taking my camera into a repair shop, which would probably be pretty costly. Maybe I can photoshop some of the blurs out when I get back home? Does anyone know more about cameras than me and have any tips (I've tried looking through forums to no avail)?

I'm liking the look of Switzerland so far. Swiss 5 franc coins are so massive you feel like you're trading with doubloons and I've only been here four hours but I've already eaten a copious amount of cheese.
Also, the receptionist at my hostel here said my hat was cool, and then said I had a cool voice and should take up singing. Hooray! (this is so much better than "you have a weird accent", which I'm still getting everywhere)

In just a few days I will be in Piz Gloria, spending exorbitant amounts on the cable car and being rewarded with champagne and a chance to practice my genealogy. Note to self: remember to wear kilt.

6 comments:

  1. Moriarty! Commenting on this one 'cause the Berlin one is so far down. Finally back in Toronto after the Germany trip and a week's work in Quebec.

    Great catching up with you in Berlin. The concert I saw was indeed at the same spot as yours. Stasi HQ was creepy but fascinating. Hamburg was indeed seedy and bigger than I'd imagined.

    Photo turned out great. Looking forward to hearing about Piz Gloria!

    cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. watching films when you are travelling is the best! i remember when ro and i went to watch "loco por las compras," which is a crazy spanish way of saying "confessions of a shopaholic" that translates to "crazy for the shopping," and we hadn't seen a film in three months, and the popcorn was more popcorny and the seats more plush and comfortable than any trip to the cinema, ever.

    glad you are having fun! you missed a stellar gig last night. starring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt:
    Hey! Good to hear from you, and good to hear the rest of your trip went well!

    I read a news article the other day which I meant to send you a link to, your comment has reminded me and I'll see if I can dig it up! It was very timely after dicussing what George Lazenby's up to these days. Apparently, being a bit of a jerk?
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/10/3008074.htm

    Your comment is timely too - Piz Gloria was this morning and far out, there are no words for how much I would recommend it. Pay any price, it's the greatest! I'll probably try and have some stories up pretty soon, and more photos a bit later on!

    Caro:
    Sso good. Now I am in Switzerland and they have all these ads for how Monday is "cheap movie night" and I thought, another movie? But then I saw "cheap movie night" means 12 franc tickets and as it's pretty much a 1-1 exchange rate: $12! Sneaky Switzerland.
    Sad to hear I missed your gig which sounds rock and roll (or so twitter tells me)! Hopefully there will be plenty more after I get back so I can attend one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So there's a few posts that I haven't read yet but I want to comment because this would definitely be a week where we would geek out together!

    This comment is brought to you by two beers and one wine.

    Channel 10 played Glee the same night that I would have come home and downloaded it. And they are playing episode 2 next week as well, so it isn't just a sneak peak. I KNOW, RIGHT?!

    Also I downloaded and watched the first eps of The Office and 30 Rock yesterday. I read the wikipedia entries for both episodes on the season page, you know where they have two or three sentences and it describes the whole episode. Well the 30 Rock one made me super excited and the The Office one made me groan a little. This happened a few weeks ago and I was going to twitter it or something but then I was like, the only person who I could talk about this with is MORIARTY.

    Anyway, then I watched them, and they pretty much equal in LOLs. So yay! No need to fear your show is not letting you down.

    In other things TV, Modern Family and Offspring are my favourite shows. I have also watched the whole of Pushing Daisies (two series) and Friday Night Lights (four series) while you've been away. They are both brilliant and you should definitely watch them, I have the DVDs. And I'm on my way through My So Called Life (like Freaks and Geeks, one series cult classic) which I'm enjoying.

    This is the end of the TV comment

    - Sasha

    (I went to see Caro play last week. Chris played as well, it was pretty freaking cool. There was a bit when I had to remember that Caro was my friend who I play basketball with and not a rock star)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That receptionist has obviously heard a bootleg version of "Love, Woohoo."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sasha! Hooray! I almost didn't get your comment and then I checked my comments page (which I keep forgetting I have) 'just in case' and saw this on there!

    I am excited to know that it's return-of-TV week, though also sad I can't be there to geek out with you like you say! I've realised that it's actually very possible for me to watch things en route, but I've decided not to because it will be more fun to save it up (and because I wouldn't be able to guarantee week-by-week access which might be disappointing). Did I already say this and am repeating myself? Yikes, I'm losing track!
    I can't believe Channel 10 is showing Glee same night! That's madness!

    Haha, I just read the wikipedia bits you're referring to and I see where you're coming from. Good to hear that the Office return turned out better than it sounds!

    I am genuinely interested in watching both Pushing Daisies and Friday Night Lights and might have to go on a DVD-borrowing spree when I get back if the offer's out there?
    I promise not to watch all this TV I'm talking about all at once. I could return from travelling only to be in my room for weeks!

    Unrelated (except in terms of this also being something I would discuss with you over Friday beers), something I've been enjoying at the moment is Steve Martin on twitter. He's all over my twitter page whenever I check it, but in the best of ways! From there I also followed a link to his blog where he did this thing on "liveblogging the oscars". You might have seen it at the time, either way, good fun!

    Hope work is treating you well! Bye for now!

    Moriarty

    ReplyDelete